PWTorch editor Wade Keller presents a special Thursday Flagship edition of the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast featuring a WrestleMania 36 Preview with ex-WWE Creative Team member and professional stand-up comedian Matt McCarthy.
(Search “wade keller” to subscribe in podcast app or CLICK HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts.)
TORCH TODAY – Monday, January 4, 2016
– This year’s “Wrestle Kingdom” Tokyo Dome Show is in the books. It was another epic event from New Japan, which is now available for on-demand viewing through the pay New Japan World streaming service. If you haven’t seen a Tokyo Dome Show before, you will be instantly captivated just by the look & feel of the event.
The show ended with three of the best matches potentially all year – Shibata-Ishii was non-stop physicality, A.J. Styles-Shinsuke Nakamura had that feel of an epic IC Title match on the big stage, and Tanahashi-Okada was just two mega-stars on the mega-stage going all-out.
– Jim Ross, who called last year’s Tokyo Dome Show on U.S. PPV, commented on Monday’s big event in his latest blog at jrsbarbq.com.
“Congrats to all involved with Wrestle Kingdom 10 that took place in the Tokyo Dome on January 4. Two or three, incredible, match of the year level bouts. Happy that Kevin Kelly and Matt Striker called the show. The NJPW brand is arguably the best overall in ring product within the genre these days. Happy that we could introduce so many fans to the brand last year while promoting the PPV of Wrestle Kingdom 9,” Ross wrote.
– Tonight’s Raw TV is a big one with WWE going back to the WWE Title bag of tricks with Roman Reigns in a predicament opposite Sheamus and Mr. McMahon to try to capitalize on no football competition. Of course, college basketball is countering with a rare #1 vs. #2 regular season match-up in prime time. So, WWE gets a slight reprieve before facing the college football National Title game next Monday.
– WWE NETWORK HIGHLIGHTS: The season finale of “Breaking Ground” airs Monday night after Raw around 11:06 p.m. EST.
TONIGHT don't miss the SEASON FINALE of @WWE @BreakingGround right after #RAW only on @WWENetwork! #BreakingGround pic.twitter.com/XiPtHSCH9R
— WWE (@WWE) January 4, 2016
– “The Rock” Dwayne Johnson is advertising “cool announcements” this week as it relates to new projects from his 7 Bucks production company.
UPDATE: The first such announcement is the role of female lead C.J. Parker for the “Baywatch” re-make movie. Rock announced that Kelly Rohrbach has been slotted for the role.
– Paul Heyman is scheduled to accompany Brock Lesnar for his return match against Sheamus on the WWE house show this Friday in Houston.
– The Liverpool Echo newspaper previewed a dream singles match of A.J. Styles vs. Rey Mysterio set for next Friday, January 15 at Echo Arena in Liverpool.
– The Manchester Evening News talked to Kurt Angle ahead of his TNA Farewell Tour in the U.K. later this month. Angle is scheduled to wrestle at the live event/Impact TV taping on Friday, January 29.
– The first trailer is out for WWE’s forthcoming DVD release on the Dudleys. Talking heads in the trailer include Mick Foley, Edge, and Joey Styles. The project titled “Straight Outta Dudleyville” is scheduled for release in April.