Aston Martin has denied a wild rumor swirling at the Dutch Grand Prix claiming that Lawrence Stroll had offered Fernando Alonso a seat with the Silverstone-based outfit for next season.
The gossip stemmed from a sit down for lunch that took place in Sardinia earlier this summer between fellow billionaires Lawrence Stroll and Flavio Briatore, who still looks after Alonso’s interests.
It’s unclear on whose super-yacht the meeting happened, but the gathering apparently occurred before Alonso and Alpine had extended their partnership for 2022, a deal that was announced last week.
The rumor was amplified in Zandvoort’s paddock this weekend and Aston Martin apparently considered the buzz to be getting a bit too loud, which enticed the team to formally deny the chatter.
Click Here: West Coast Eagles Guernsey
“Lawrence Stroll did not offer a drive to Fernando Alonso, as has been reported in some media,” said an Aston representative on Saturday.
“Lawrence had lunch with Flavio Briatore in Sardinia during the summer break. Lawrence and Flavio are friends. They have lunched together in Sardinia many times over many years. It was a social occasion, nothing more.”
Read also: Alonso F1 future linked to progress with Alpine
While it’s safe to suggest that Lance Stroll will be remaining with his father’s team next season, Sebastian Vettel has yet to secure his future with Aston.
But team boss Otmar Szafnauer anticipated an extension of the four-time world champion’s deal based on talks that should conclude in the coming weeks.
“We have a process that we go through and in our contracts,” said Szafnauer. “Although I don’t like to speak about the details there are certain timing milestones.
“Those are coming up within the next couple of weeks and once we’ve passed those I’m sure we’ll make the requisite announcements.”
Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter